Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Planning Ahead

Life is a series of never ending changes.  Caught unawares, more often than not, they can knock us right off of our feet.  Jobs are lost, people get sick, children move away and pets die.  Events like these leave us feeling desperate, anxious and out of control, frantically searching for a way to dull the pain.  Off balance and afraid, many of us resort to self-destructive methods such as drugs, alcohol, food or shopping but it's times such as these, when under extreme stress, that we most need to engage in healthy self-care behaviors.

When faced with a difficult period, it's wise to have a plan already in place.  I suggest making a list of 10 ways you can comfort yourself emotionally, physically and spiritually.  Write them down and keep copies of your list at home, the office and in your car so you are always prepared should a challenge arise.  My list looks something like this:
  • I will rely on my husband or best friend for support.
  • I will eliminate anything that is not absolutely necessary from my To Do list.
  • I will remember to eat only healthy and nourishing foods to maintain my strength.  
  • I will take time to pray and meditate in the morning and again before bed.
  • I will spend time outside each day reflecting on the beauty found in nature. 
  • I will refrain from watching or reading disturbing news stories.  
  • I will remember to recite my daily affirmations.  
  • I will avoid negative and needy people. 
  • I will relax my expectations for cleanliness around the house.
  • I will remember that change is inevitable, worry a worthless waste of energy and everything happens for a reason.   
Over the next several days, pay attention to the things you do to keep yourself grounded.  Create your list based on these activities and you'll be able to remain strong and centered during times of crisis.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment