Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Soften Your Edges

I've always had poor eyesight but I recently discovered it's poor in a sense that I hadn't thought of before. 

After taking a shower the other morning, I looked into the mirror and was surprisingly pleased with what I saw.  My glasses were off and it was before I'd put my contacts in so the image in the glass was somewhat hazy but I could see it was me and I looked fit, healthy, and while not exactly what one would call "slender", not the woman in the sumo suit I typically see.  Wow, maybe all this healthy eating, yoga, biking and my new found sobriety really is making a difference.  Then I made the fatal mistake of putting in my contacts and right before my very eyes, I morphed back into the middle aged, fat woman that normally greets me every morning.

Logically I know that because I'm nearsighted, there cannot be that much of a difference between the two images.  With my vision at 20/20, all the parts of my body that I don't like become glaringly apparent; the wrinkles, the stomach pooch after having 2 children, stretch marks, a C-section scar, droopy breasts, and the cottage cheese thighs.  Without glasses or contacts however, the woman in the mirror is a softer, more gentle representation of myself and I've decided I like that look.  It's the one I choose to see.

My challenge for you this week is to look at yourself in a whole new way.  Remove the glasses that make you see your so called "flaws" so clearly.  Instead, take a step back from the mirror, don't focus so hard, dim the lights and soften your edges.  This is you, and you are beautiful.  I want you to do one more exercise, look into your own eyes and say aloud, "I love you,".  Go ahead and give yourself a big kiss and be sure to leave the lipstick stain on the glass as a reminder of just how sexy you are!

1 comment: